Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chemo Sucks, But...

So grateful that this week is basically over! It's been a long week. The lady at the cancer center who scheduled my mom's appointment was definitely right: that first day would be filled with a lot of education!

Mom's first round of chemo started Monday after blood work and a visit with her oncologist. Walking into the outpatient chemotherapy room was like cattle being herded into milking stalls. And that's about what it looked like too. As you walk through the corridor, there are stalls with nice reclining chairs. All the patients are hooked up to IVs that, instead of milking, provide them with their assigned meds. It's a long process. My mom has two different kinds of chemo on Monday then one kind on Tuesday and Wednesday.

She's not had any bad side effects and I'm grateful for that because I'm a sympathy puker. We have an awesome patient advocate there who has done everything possible to assist us with getting the $900 anti-nausea medicine for $10, getting her inhaler for free, and getting us some transportation grants. She's also working on getting my mom's actual chemo medications for free from the company that manufactures them!

I'm grateful for "Perfect Strangers". Not just the ones that I've met online through the SHMC but even the strangers at the outpatient center. The RNs and other staff are wonderful. They're very understanding. Mom had an emotional break when we walked into the outpatient chemo center on Monday. The front desk lady, Betsy, just took her hand and told her it was alright to cry. Then she came around and gave my mom a hug. And has hugged her everytime we've been in this week! What kindness from a stranger!

Today is a day off and it'll be filled with more paperwork to get stuff lined out. If I never have to see a shred of paper that has to be filled out for something, it'll still be too soon. But I know it's not over.

My mom doesn't go back for her next treatment for almost 3 weeks and since she's feeling well, my sister and I are going to take her to the beach for a few days. This will be the first time that my mom gets to go with us to our special place: Tybee Island, Georgia. And she'll get to experience it with the grandbabies too. It'll be extra special. We'll have lots of pictures to post when we get back. We leave Tuesday!

Somedays things don't really seem as bad as they are. We know the reality of the situation but are hopeful and continue praying that God will grant us a miracle for my mom. We take everything in stride and truly celebrate even the smallest positivity we get. We stopped by a store yesterday to pick up something small for my sister's birthda today. I found a brand of cards called "One Tough Chick" and they were awesome. I showed my mom one of the cards they had.




Inside: But if it sucks the cancer right out of you, then "YAY, chemo!"

No comments:

Post a Comment