Sunday, August 29, 2010

Laundry Service??

As a mom, sometimes I wish that I could really afford just to hire someone to do the laundry. That I could just send the laundry out dirty and have it come back clean. With 6 people living in our house, the laundry piles up quickly, especially now with school in session and the girls (my daughter and niece) require both school and play clothes.

But I can't afford it. And now that I think about things a little differently, I don't know that I'd really want to do that. I mean, I get to do laundry because I get to wear clothes everyday, because I'm a living, breathing, singing, dancing, running, laughing Mama. And I have my daughter and niece to prove that's they're living, breathing, singing, dancing, running, and laughing too.

So why is laundry such a dreaded chore? Why is washing the items that we have to have such a dreaded chore? Afterall, I know what cute outfits of my daughter's are in the wash and they're usually in the wash because they're her or my favorites so they get cycled in more often in the "what to wear" items. This is true for me too. I have favorites that I miss wearing when they're sitting in the mountain of laundry. So, why dread it?

Fellow SHM Sheilah and I took on the laundry mat yesterday...not to do laundry together, but to capture some beautiful portraits of her. She's been on a month long challenge to face her truths and dare to reach her goals. It's been a month of self-exploration and it's ending with a new view of herself. I had the pleasure of being the girl photographing her. She was open to my ideas (and had a few of her own). I suggested the laundry mat and she loved the idea.

I captured a few images there that maybe, just maybe, changed my view of the laundry mat. Over the last month, Sheilah has changed her views about herself. Personally, I think this is harder to do than changing our views about a situation or place. If she could do this over a month, I think this one time in the laundry mat has forever altered how I view it and the chore of laundry.


How do you feel about laundry service now?

Kat

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love it and loving all the laundry I GET to do!!!!

    ReplyDelete